It’s Self-Care Saturday! Let’s talk about PMS, shall we? How many of you struggle with this? I have some tried and true tips for you! First, you should know that releasing an egg takes a TREMENDOUS amount of energy! We can help our bodies get through it smoothly by:
1) Allowing ourselves to rest as needed.
2) Staying active but not overdoing it!
3) Staying hydrated and limiting or avoiding caffeine, processed sugar, and alcohol. (Don’t freak out, there’s more)
4) Taking a high-quality plant-based micronutrient supplement. See my favorite brand here (I'm not sponsored, I just genuinely find these vitamins to be very effective).
5) Eat mostly plants🌱seriously Friends, plants (fruits and veggies) of all kinds but especially greens because they are supercharged with micronutrients that nourish your body. Juice, make smoothies, eat a big salad for lunch🥗and roast a sheet pan full of starchy veggies, especially sweet potatoes! Did you know natural progesterone cream can be made from wild🍠yam? So, when you get hit hard with the carb cravings around your period, instead of heading for the drive-through, cook up a batch of these babies. It will take you the same amount of time - 30 minutes. Trust me, it’s worth the effort!
RECIPE FOR ROASTED ROOT VEGGIE "FRIES"
Ingredients - you will need:
2-3 root vegetables of your choice, preferably sweet potatoes (scrubbed and dried) but this recipe can be done with squash, zucchini, rutabaga, or any other starchy veggie!
1 T Olive or Coconut Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp dried herbs (optional)
1/4 cup organic all-natural catsup or your favorite dipping sauce
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper or non-stick foil (parchment is probably safer)
Cut potatoes lengthwise into strips of "fries"
Place "fries" onto the covered sheet pan
Add the seasoning ingredients (salt, oil, herbs) to the pan
Toss the potato and seasoning mixtures until potatoes are fully coated
Place in preheated oven for 30-minutes (keep an eye on them and wait until they are brown and soft, which, may be more or less than 30 minutes in your oven).
Once cooked, serve immediately with dipping sauce. Enjoy with a refreshing "bubbly" water!